Monday, October 17, 2011

I don't know why I didn't do this earlier

Every day around 4:00 p.m., I un-plaster myself from my desk to go talk to the only other guy in my office who likes the Red Sox. The difference between us is that he is from Boston and I am not. I was born and raised in L.A., but there aren't many things in this world that I love more than the Red Sox. I wish I could explain it.

I never fell in love with the MLB teams here in L.A. It wasn't for lack of trying. My mom has been a diehard Dodger fan since I can remember. She used to carry a cruddy walkman-ripoff around and listen to games while she puttered through the house. The Angels always had cool merchandise (since they change their logo every month), but any passion for the team was never there. I was a baseball fan without a purpose, without a heart. But that all changed when I discovered the Bo Sox.

I was in college. I turned on the TV. Oh, a baseball game was on. A tough, gritty John Valentin was delivering strikes across the diamond to Mo Vaughn. Something in my stirred. What was this feeling? It was new to me. Simple uniforms, simple style? I...kind of....yeah....I like it! That was it. I found my calling. Red Sox Nation, you just adopted a new son.

So here I am, several years later -- taking the steps two at a time to talk to my friend on the floor above me. I recall to him the latest news on the collapse of the Red Sox and of the off-season predictions I've been reading about when he says, "Hey, you should start a blog." What? Oh....hmmm...yeah, maybe.

Welcome to Red Sox L.A.: blog letters of love about the only baseball team that matters - the Boston Red Sox.

Go Sox!

No comments:

Post a Comment