Monday, October 24, 2011

Welcome, Ben



I was all prepared to write a word of congratulations to Ben Cherinton, the new incoming General Manager of my beloved Red Sox. I was going to mention how it seems like he is a highly-respected, quiet leader. A young up-and-coming baseball executive (not unlike someone else we know).

But then, I read Theo Epstein's farewell letter in the Globe, thanking Red Sox Nation. Man, I had to process it. It's been 10 years! I wasn't expecting to react to it the way I did. I could feel my heart sink into my stomach for a second there. He's really gone and I believe were going to miss him. It truly is the end of an era, as they say. And as painful as this past month has been, it doesn't come close to erasing the great memories and championships we've had under Theo's vigilant eye. 

I'm sad to see him go, but Red Sox Nation will live on. We still have Pedi and the crew. Adrian is locked up. Carl will bounce back. The two Ryan's are coming up soon. They'll re-sign Jacoby. Right?

So, yeah, welcome Ben. You've been in the shadows. Now it's your time. Don't screw it up. Haha...no seriously...don't screw it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment